Free blog design by Louise Franks {Blog} Designs. Digiscrapping elements by Louise Franks{Digiscrapping} Designs.»

Monday, November 2, 2009

This Won't Hurt a Bit...

Last week, we had the glorious opportunity of spending two hours outside, making new friends and entertaining Ellie with “games that can be played while sitting in the stroller”. We were standing in line, waiting to get our H1N1 flu shots. So were a lot of other people. A lot of angry, disgruntled and impatient people.

I had to bite my tongue quite a few times, especially when eavesdropping on a couple of mothers standing behind us in line.

“This is so ridiculous. Which idiot planned this set-up? *I* could have done a better job!”

“They should let us go to the front of the line! We’ve got (able-bodied and apparently healthy) kids with us!”

“It’s like we live in a third world country!”

“I’ve never been subjected to something so barbaric! I can’t believe they’re making us wait so long for a *&%%^# flu shot!”

And so on and so on…

I wanted to turn around and, with controlled anger, pipe, “Aren’t you THANKFUL that we live in a country where this vaccine (and so many others) are available?! Aren’t you THANKFUL that this will probably be the only time you wait in line at any sort of clinic or doctor’s office for the next couple of years?!”

But, Ellie was with me and I didn’t want these crazy mamas to go off and get violent. So, I stayed silent. And then I smiled sadistically as I watched their children throwing tantrums and cussing , while my daughter played happily with her laptop, sitting contently in her stroller.

While I fall short MANY times, I do make a conscious effort to convey thankfulness and patience, especially while in the presence of Ellie. I think that’s one of the reasons why she’s such a happy little chickadee. I notice Ellie’s demeanor change immediately when she senses MY frustration.

So, to self-righteously show-up those two you-know-what’s in the flu shot line, and to model a “good attitude” to sweet Ellie, here is my Top Five List for today (because I have made the crazy promise to blog every day for an entire month, I have given myself the leeway to cut the “Top Ten” lists down to five. HA!):

I am thankful for:

1. HDTV. I actually scowled at Richie when he first signed us up for the HD cable. I thought it was a complete waste of money (and, really, it is). BUT, watching those football player's butts in lycra pants, er, I mean GAMES on HD is da bomb.

2. Daylight at 8:00am. I know that it will be short-lived, but it’s so much easier driving to work in the LIGHT.

3. Such a fun Halloween. It was COLD and Ellie about froze her little fingers off, but she had SO. MUCH. FUN. It gets better every year! Here’s my little pirate (complete with a Canadian Halloween staple: big, bulky, ugly, non-costume matching winter boots):



4. My youth group. Amazing and precious young ‘uns, they are. I am hardly able to keep from sobbing out loud when they pray for us and for Ellie. They are prayer WARRIORS. Hardcore. And they love hardcore. They bless me every second of Thursday night and beyond.

5. Caller ID. No explanation needed.

0 comments: