Free blog design by Louise Franks {Blog} Designs. Digiscrapping elements by Louise Franks{Digiscrapping} Designs.»

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Ten Things That Have Bugged Me Today

I know this may not be the most positive and uplifting of titles, but I’m feeling a little (extra) passive-aggressive this morning, so it was appropriate to my mood!

1) The term “unable to have their OWN children, so they adopted”. I was watching a news story the other day and the reporter used this exact phrase. I was so riled up! Adopted children ARE the parent’s own! And why is adoption always presented as a second choice? I realize that most couples who adopt have some fertility issues, but presenting adoption as though it’s second best isn’t fair. If we end up adopting, that child will be just as much our own as Ellie is. No questions asked.

2) -50 windchill. Seriously. Why, oh why, did my ancestors settle here? Life would have been so much easier if Great Grandma and Grandpa decided to build their new North American life in Dallas, where it’s 70 degrees out today.

3) My teef. They are so sensitive and I’m quite annoyed by the fact that I have to SUCK on this mint, when all I want to do is chomp down on it! I know it will hurt my teeth to bite it, though, so I will continue sucking (um…)…

4) My gray hair. Good Lord, I don’t even WANT to know how gray I’d be if I’d stop coloring my curly locks. ‘Course, now that the gray is overgrowing, I have to color my hair once every six weeks. I hate coloring my hair. It stinks. It stains things. It’s time consuming. And, if I go to the salon, it’s crazily expensive. Plus, it reminds me that I’m getting older. Blah.

5) One more football game left this year. For true, y’all. I actually get REALLY sad when I think about six more months until a new football season begins. I can’t tell you how much I love that stinkin’ game. Last Sunday, I had to metaschlope (Sunday-afternoon nap) while watching CURLING in the afternoon. Sooo not the same as watching the Boys.

6) How stressed I am about Ellie’s potty training. Or, more accurately, lack thereof. The other day I had her naked for about five minutes on the floor, while I got her bath ready. She totally peed on the floor, and didn’t think anything of it. I wasn’t mad at her, but it made me frustrated and sad. I don’t think she has the bladder control to hold it for even five minutes. And there doesn’t seem to be any sort of concept of understanding the “urge” to go. I am so scared that she will enter kindergarten in diapers. Perhaps it’s wrong for me to voice this concern, and I most certainly don’t want to embarrass Ellie, but this is a HUGE concern of mine. I also realize that kindergarten is 2.5 years away, and a lot could happen between now and then. Which leads me to point number 7…

7) How pessimistic I can sometimes be. I used to be a lot more optimistic when I thought about the future. Perhaps adulthood and “living in the real world” has hardened me and slightly changed my outlook. I find myself especially pessimistic (or, is it realistic?) when I think about Ellie’s future physical abilities. I feel like I need to prepare myself for the wheelchair, just in case it DOES happen. Yet, I know in my heart that she is doing so well and could easily be walking (even if helped by a walker or canes) into Southwood School in September of 2010. So, why do I feel the need to guard my heart and expect less?

8) Texting. I think I’m secretly jealous of wicked dexterity and ability to shoot out these text messages in crazily abbreviated language. Have you seen these kids text? It’s so annoying because they do it so fast and so well. Grrr…

9) and 10) The inability to think of two more things for my list.

3 comments:

~Laura~ said...

Your #1 reminded me of one of my favorite bloggers post a while ago. It's great...
http://web.mac.com/careygrange/DrewCareyShow/Blog/Entries/2008/1/4_Plan_A.html

* ~ *Jessica* ~ * said...

1) We have friends that are foster parents. They got into to adopt. They wanted to adopt before they even tried having children. I think people who adopt are HEROS (and, hey- some day in the future, the possibilty of being me being one is pretty high!)

7) Because your a Mom, more over- Ellie's Mom. And, it's just easier to be excited about something than disapointed. So, we think the worst. I'm guilty. And our babies need up to be optimistic thinkers- so when you find out the key to that, let me know...

8) I'm one of those 'kids'. I feel great about it. Until my 16 y/o sister sends me an entire sentence of just letters and I go WTF? ;)

9 & 10) Chrystie- come on girl, you're better than this! Luv ya dear!

Kiera said...

I love it Christie - I feel your pain about the windchill! We are getting it here in MN also! I agree wholeheartedly with your #1. You go girl!