Free blog design by Louise Franks {Blog} Designs. Digiscrapping elements by Louise Franks{Digiscrapping} Designs.»

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Man Made Uterus


(The picture is of Amilla, the 21-weeker)

I'm sure that many of you have heard about the world's most premature surviving baby, born at 21 weeks, going home from the hospital this week (after a four-month NICU stay....and I thought ONE month was unbearable!). My heart is always tender when it comes to preemies, but this one is exceptional.

It got me thinking. Do you think that modern medicine will evolve to a point where a baby can bake entirely in an artificial womb? It's a loaded question, with many moral implications. Would God "allow" that to happen? Does it fundamentally change who we are as human beings, formed in God's image? Would I have a problem with it?

I know it's a moot point, because it won't happen during my child-bearing years, but a part of me wishes it were possible today. I'd buy a uterus. I'm already shelling out $30,000 to buy an adopted baby, so what would stop me from buying a uterus to bake embryos made from our DNA? Perhaps I'm having a bad sterility day, and feel a tad bitter over my situation. Yet, this possibility reaches out beyond myself. I think of my friends whose girlie parts have failed them (in all sorts of different ways). They, too, could benefit from a uterus rental. It really would change lives.

I don't know what the future holds, but it sure is an interesting concept, isn't it?

0 comments: