Free blog design by Louise Franks {Blog} Designs. Digiscrapping elements by Louise Franks{Digiscrapping} Designs.»

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

11/11

It's Remembrance Day. What will YOU be doing at 11 o' clock on the 11th day of the 11th month?

It's a bit ironic when you think about Canada's (pre-Afghanistan) reputation of being a PEACEkeeping nation, but up here, we really DO take war remembrance seriously. For a month now, the Canadian Legion (veterans) have been selling poppies at nearly every store counter. We wear our poppies on our left lapel, closest to our heart, as a way to remember and thank those who fought for this country. All non-essential services are closed this morning, and the vast majority of us get the entire day off.

At 11:00am on the eleventh day of the eleventh month, we are to stand in silence for one minute as we remember those who have sacrificed for this amazing land.

Believe it or not, there have been MANY sacrifices. And I thank each one of our soldiers and each one of those soldiers' families with all my heart. THANK YOU for sacrificing your comfort, your stability, your sleep, your health and often your life, for your beliefs. I am truly convinced that those who physically fought (and are still fighting) for this country believed it was the best way to promote freedom and ensure a better life for little Canadians to come.

I just find it really difficult to reconcile war and freedom in the Canada of 2008. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I hate the fighting. I hate it when the CBC newscast leads with a picture of another fallen soldier in Afghanistan. I hate the thought of civilians dying in the crossfire. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know I hate the current state of affairs. I secretly wish that Canada had not veered off her peacekeeping course. I liked that part of our reputation.

But, alas, I fear that we've gone too far now to turn back.

And on a day like today, I want to honour those soldiers who don a maple leaf on their khaki forearms. Their mission might not be one I support, but their intentions are pure. And they're risking their lives every day because they love the same country as I do. I want to think about the women of Afghanistan who have been able to send their daughters to school since our soldiers arrived. I want to think about the amazing humanitarian work our troops do out there. I am proud.

Where will *I* be at the eleventh hour today? On my way to the airport. We're heading down to Alabama for the rest of the week. I may not be able to stand in respectful silence at 11:00, but I will thank God for our service men and women throughout the day.

And I will wear my poppy with incredible pride.

0 comments: