Free blog design by Louise Franks {Blog} Designs. Digiscrapping elements by Louise Franks{Digiscrapping} Designs.»

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Me and My Blog

Well, after this post, I will no longer wear my blog chastity belt. My sweet friend Sunny inspired me. My late coming into the world of blogging is true to Chrystie form. It usually takes me a few years to make peace with a new fad. Thus, I'll often embrace the fad just as it's going out of fashion! I swore that I would never wear bell bottom jeans, and sure enough, just as straight legs were making their way back into the Gap, I got on the flare (the 2003 politically correct way to say "bell bottom") band wagon.

Revising the Dream.

I'm thirty. Thirty is different than I thought it would be. Not better, not worse, just different. I am a chronic dreamer, and I've realized that, as life throws some curve balls my way, I've had to revise some of those visions.

I don't dream of covering the Middle East unrest for CNN anymore. Not seeing my husband and daughter for months on end would KILL me. It's not a dream I WANT. Instead, I dream of the perfect job (whatever that may be...politics? Community development? Writing?) that allows me to pursue my passion for eight hours a day, until I'm able to go home to my family and laugh about the day's events over Hamburger Helper and Tang.

I don't dream of mothering the first female place kicker for the Alabama Crimson Tide anymore. I don't even dream about mothering a daughter who can walk up a hill anymore. Instead, I dream about mothering a daughter who rises above her physical limitations. A daughter who says, "I may have cerebral palsy, but that is NOT who I am." A daughter who inspires and loves and conquers.

Revising is not about eliminating. Revising the dream has nothing to do with ending the dream. To the contrary, my friend! Revising the dream is about envisioning even bigger and better things for your life. Revising the dream is about putting real people in the place of the unknown. "Having kids" isn't good enough any more. Now, it's "Having Ellie and adopting our precious second baby..." "Getting married" isn't good enough anymore. Now, it's "Being Richard's wife".

After all, revisions lead to perfection.

3 comments:

Gamecock Girl said...

This is wonderful! I'm so happy that you started a blog. I love reading what you have to say (I think I've told you that lots of times, but it's true). I look forward to what comes in the future.

Sunny said...

GO YOU!!! I am very proud of you. When I get around to it you will be added to my blog!

Kathryn said...

This is so great. I love your whole perspective and postive outlook. It's definitely the right approach. I have done a good bit of revising myself but never thought of that way until I read this post. Thank you so much!